Hilarious Valentines Day Nonsense for Singletons
Valentine's Day: the mushiest, most pretentious couple'y day of the year, but who said Valentine's Day can't be hilarious for singletons? Take a look at this round up of hilarious posts and general nonsense.
Many single people the world over cringe when they hear the words 'Valentines Day', but don't worry, we got your back! This article has been made with you in mind!
These are just handful of gems that we came across.
Let's be real for a moment, who doesn't love a good 'fail'?
In case you didn't know where this whole affair came from, here's some VDay facts:
- It's believed that the 'Valentines Day' holiday and term was coined by the Christian church in response to the killings of bishops, several of which were named Valentine, by the Roman Emperor Claudius II. These men were considered to be martyrs and were sainted. The holiday was marked as a reminder of their sacrifice and dedication to the church, in particular, for carrying out the rites of matrimony even during times of warfare - which was against the wishes of the Emperor.
- My Bloody Valentine is a concept much closer to the origins than the mush we see today. These martyrs would have been brutally executed (most likely publicly) for rebelling against the Emperor's decree. Dark.
- Capitalism jumped on this traditional holiday as a means of making serious cash. More than 1 billion VDay cards are sent every year.
- Apparently, condom sales increase by 20 - 30% in February. It makes sense really, all those 'happily' married couples have to prove that there's still some kind of sexual interest at least once a year right?
- 3% of pet owners will give their pets some kind of VDay gift. That's either really cute or weird.
- Valentines Day now shares the same date with another holiday: S.A.D - Singles Awareness Day.
- In Finland, on 14th February they celebrate Ystavanpaiva, a holiday for friendships not lovers.
- 73% of men will buy flowers on Valentines Day, it's still the most popular VDay gift.
We love a good story, particularly one that involves a good plot twist, misfortune or a hilarious ending. Got an awesome VDay story to share with us? (Fails always welcome) Leave a message in the comments below.
Did you enjoy our ridiculous Valentine's Day post? Share it via these social buttons!